Endocrinology is the field of hormone-related diseases. An endocrinologist can diagnose and treat hormone problems and the complications that arise from them.
Hormones regulate metabolism, respiration, growth, reproduction, sensory perception, movement and hormone imbalances can be the underlying reason for a wide range of medical conditions.
What is the endocrine system?
The human endocrine system consists of a number of glands, which release hormones to control many different functions.
When the hormones leave the glands, they enter the bloodstream and are transported to organs and tissues in every part of the body.
Diseases of the endocrine system can include:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Thyroid disorders (Hashimoto’s, Graves, goitre)
- Endocrine disorders in pregnancy
- Adrenal disease (Addison’s disease, Adrenal masses)
- Bone disorders (osteoporosis)
- Parathyroid and Calcium disorders
- Pituitary disease
Talk to your GP about a referral to the specialist Endocrinologist now available in the Coffs Harbour GP Super Clinic.