This just gives you basic information. It would do no harm to talk to your doctor at the Super Clinic. Why not call 1300 364 375 to make an appointment with your doctor for a referral; OR click here to make an appointment NOW.
Tips on Male Healthy Weight
Interesting Facts about Men and their waist size:
- Significantly more men than women have a weight problem.
- Men lose weight faster than women.
- The really good news is that by losing a small amount of weight you can experience significant health and wellbeing benefits.
- Large waist size is linked to erectile dysfunction and low testosterone levels which can lead to other problems including fatigue, mood changes, muscle changes and weaker bones.
- Overweight men have greater overall health risks than overweight women, particularly during middle age. Men are more likely to carry excess weight around their abdomen which is riskier than weight around the hips and thighs. Overweight men tend to have more visceral fat (ie fat that surrounds the internal organs) which increases the risk of heart attack, metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Ischaemic heart disease is the leading cause of premature death among males (11.1% of potential life years lost).
Benefits Derived from Adopting a Healthier Lifestyle:
- Prevent or improve serious health conditions – Adopting a healthier lifestyle is the natural and effective way of preventing or treating chronic disease. Reducing your waist size reduces your chance of a heart attack or stroke, lowers your blood pressure, reduces bad blood fats (cholesterol) and prevents or improves diabetes and associated complications. In some cases, diabetes can be cured through lifestyle change.
- Better mental health – Regular physical activity and health eating improves mental health by alleviating stress, reducing anxiety and depression, and improving your sleep.
- More energy – more mobility – When you carry less weight around, you breathe better and improve circulation – you will be able to do things easily like play with your kids, or play sport with your mates.
- Preserve your independence – By carrying less weight and increasing general fitness, you can look and feel more youthful, protect and build muscles and bone, prevent falls and fractures, and prevent dementia.
- Better sleep – Reduced waist size will improve your sleep because you will breathe better, snore less, and sleep more deeply. If you have obstructive sleep apnea, it could mean dumping your air pumps and mask!
- Better sex – The really good news is that reduced waist size may improve sexual function.
- Better work performance – A healthier lifestyle will improve sleep, reduce fatigue, improve oxygen circulation to the brain, and improve concentration and memory.
- Greater confidence – When you adopt a healthier lifestyle you empower yourself and improve your self image because you look better, sweat less and have more energy.
Increasing Physical Activity:
- Accumulated short bouts of moderate intensity activity are just as good as longer bouts – aim to put together at least 30 minutes of moderate activity on most, preferably all days. Moderate intensity will slightly, but noticeably, increase your breathing and heart rate, for example brisk walking. Also enjoy some regular vigorous activity – huffing and puffing – for extra health and fits.
- Resistance exercise (weight lifting and other actions causing muscle contractions) is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Resistant exercises make your muscles stronger and more efficient, makes it easier to lose weight, lowers blood pressure, prevents and improves diabetes, decrease joint pain, builds bone mass, and reduces falls and fractures.
- Changing habits can be hard, so break it down into achievable bits – set a date to start, 1-2 achievable goals, and give yourself a bit of time before checking progress. Use a pedometer to help monitor progress.
- Ask someone to join you in physical activity – you are more likely to keep active if it is fun and you have people to enjoy it with. For example, play actively with your kids, start a lunchtime walking group at work. Instead of sitting in front of the TV, how about going for a walk with your partner in the evening. It makes her heart grow fonder and your penis stronger.
Healthy Eating Habits:
- Aim to have 2 servings of fruit and 5 servings of vegetables a day.
- Reduce meal portion sizes by putting less on the plate, using a smaller plate for the evening meal, and avoid second helpings.
- Learn to cook smart – baking, grilling and lightly stir-frying are best. Use herbs and spices instead of fat and oil based dressings to add flavor.
- Use small amounts of canola, sunflower or olive oil for cooking.
- Avoid snacking altogether or chose lower energy snacks e.g. a small piece of fruit or carrot sticks.
Reduce calorie intake by:
- Eating vegetables (including legumes) and fruit
- Eating whole grains and cereals
- Eating lean meat and poultry
- Eating some seafood – tinned tuna in brine with salad for lunch
- Eating reduced fat dairy foods
- Limiting white rice, pasta, white bread and potatoes
- Limiting refined carbohydrates (baked goods, snack foods, and processed foods)
- Limits saturated fat and intake of hard cheese
- Trim visible fat from meat and avoid processed meats
- Avoid fruit juice sugared drinks and flavoured milks
- Limit foods high in salt (read the label)
- Avoid creamy sauces and gravies
- Drinking lots of water!
- Limit alcohol intake